I haven't updated my blog for about 4 months now, so I have some catching up to do. I figured it would be easier for any readers if I broke them out individually rather than one hugely massive one.
So first off, at the end of May I was lucky enough to get to go with Barry to San Diego for five days. He had a medical conference he had to attend and I figured that if we were going to have to drop $500 for him to stay in a hotel... I was going too! My mom was wonderful enough to stay home with our three crazy kids. I got REALLY sick with some crazy stomache bug the day we were supposed to leave. NOT fun at all, but I managed to get us packed up and out the door on time to drive all night long. We got Barry there just on time to get registered and ready to go. I slept for a few hours in the car at the parking garage until he had a break long enough for lunch and to go check in to the hotel. Barry spend most of his time at the Conference Center and I did whatever I wanted. I shopped, read, laid by the pool, drove around and went to Balboa Park.
Balboa Park may have been my favorite place to go while I was there, and I wish I'd "discovered it" several days sooner. Barry and I spent Monday evening walking around the gardens together, but since it was Memorial Day all the museums were closed. :-(
I went back the next day armed with my camera. The architecture is so amazing throughout. I tried to get some interesting pics of everything around. Below is part of the walkway around the large outdoor organ stage...

really cool.

This was how most all the walkways on either side of the street were. I thought they were amazing. Lots of Spanish influence in the sculptures around and on the buildings as well.

This was just a cool Monarch butterfly pic I caught in one of the beautiful gardens. They were all themed differently. There were Asian style gardens, rose gardens.... just beautiful!

This was Barry and I in our hotel room heading out to dinner and a movie. We usually met up for lunch somewhere near the Conference Center and spent the evenings "closer to home". We saw several flicks while we were gone and couldn't decide if that was a good way to spend out "free time" since we didn't have to pay for a babysitter, or if we should have done something more local and cool... We saw several movies. What can I say... we are movie buffs. We had tons of great food while we were there including a great Brazilian style steak house for lunch, gelato, stuff from Joe's Crab Shack, and so much more. Yum!

Barry and I snuck away to Disneyland for one of the days too. We had a great time together and were able to hit some of the newer attraction in California Adventure that we didn't get to see (or weren't there) when we took the kids 2 years ago. I had wanted to go to the San Diego temple since it was about 15 minutes from our hotel.... but alas, it never happened.
Overall it was a great trip. We had fun taking a break from the kids and missed them just enough to want to come home... Hopefully we will be able to save up and do something fun again later this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment